Monsters Hold On For Win in Milwaukee

Playing their second-to-last road game of the season, the Lake Erie Monsters made quite a game of it on Friday.  The Monsters had a three-goal shutout going at the beginning of the third period in Milwaukee, but then gave up two Admirals goals in the final frame.  Lake Erie goalie Tyler Weiman and his defense were able to hold on for the final five minutes of regulation, escaping Milwaukee with a 3-2 win.

The Monsters, in sixth place in the North Division, played well enough to defeat the Admirals, who were the first team in the AHL to clinch a division title (West).  Lake Erie was very successful against Milwaukee this year, finishing the season series on Friday going 3-0-1.  That is also the teams' overall franchise series record, as the two did not meet in Lake Erie's inaugural season last year.

Phil Dupuis got the scoring started quickly for the visiting Monsters.  His goal at the 5:10 mark of the first period was his team-leading (tied with Chris Durno) 17th of the year.  He also now leads the Monsters with 44 points, and has posted 11 points (3G, 8A) in the last 12 games. Matt Hendricks and Aaron MacKenzie were credited with the assists.  Hendricks has recorded three points (1G, 2A) in his last four games with Lake Erie.

The remainder of the first frame would pass without the score changing, but Lake Erie wasted no time getting back on the board to start the second. 

Per Ledin scored just 1:10 into the second period, assisted by Mike McLean and Nigel Williams.  McLean has four points (2G, 2A) in the past five games.

Lake Erie would add an insurance goal before the close of the second.  Brandon Biggers, playing in just his second game with the team, scored at 18:37, sending the Monsters into the second intermission with a 3-0 lead.  Brian Marshall and Mark McCutcheon picked up the assists on the goal.

The Admirals were ready to attack coming out of the gates in the third period, as Cody Franson lit the lamp for Milwaukee only 1:34 into the final frame, unassisted.

MIlwaukee would get to within one goal with five minutes left to go after a shorthanded score by Andreas Thuresson.  James Sixsmith assisted on the play.

The Admirals offense was firing in the third period, rattling off 13 shots, by far the most in a period all game.  Fortunately for the Monsters, Weiman and the defense were able to keep Milwaukee at bay the final five minutes of the game, edging out the 3-2 win.

Weiman finished with 23 saves on 25 shots.  MIlwaukee's Drew MacIntyre had 19 saves on 22 shots. 

The Monsters return home immediately to host the Houston Aeros on Saturday.

Search Archive »

  Bookmark and Share

Browse by Year »


Browse by Month »

October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
March 2007
January 2007
December 2006
May 2006