Monsters Can't Hang On to Early Lead

Photos courtesy of Greg Hamil
Unfortunately and coincidentally, the Lake Erie Monsters began a seven-game, 11-day Western Conference road trip on the NHL's trade deadline day. Which meant new faces joining the team and old ones leaving. Goaltender John Grahame joined the team in Rockford on Wednesday afternoon, and started in goal Wednesday night for the Monsters, recording 22 saves on 25 shots. Forward Kevin Porter also joined Lake Erie on Wednesday, while forward Cedric McNicholl left to go to his new team. Monsters winger Ryan Stoa was also called up to the Colorado Avalanche earlier.

Despite all of the coming and going, Lake Erie came out of the gates with guns blazing on Wednesday, scoring twice within the first five minutes of the game to take an early lead. Unfortunately for the Monsters, the IceHogs would score in the second and third periods to escape with a 3-2 win. Lake Erie is now 29-28-0-5 on the season.

T.J. Hensick quickly put the visiting Monsters on the scoreboard, lighting the lamp just 31 seconds into the game. Darren Haydar and Randy Rowe assisted on the score.

Less than four minutes later, Bracken Kearns evened the score for his IceHogs. The shorthanded goal at 4:14 was helped by Jack Skille and Richard Petiot.

Forty seconds later the Monsters took the lead again behind a power play goal from Justin Mercier. The marker at 4:54 of the first was assisted by Rowe and Brett Skinner.

The remaining 15 minutes of the opening frame would go by scoreless, sending the teams to the intermission with Lake Erie ahead, 2-1.

The home team knotted the score seven minutes into the second period. Evan Brophey converted on the power play at the 7:20 mark, assisted by Pete MacArthur.

Brophey's goal would be the only one of the middle period, as the second would end with the team's tied at two goals apiece.

More than half the third period went by before the score would change again. Finally at 11:27 Bryan Bickell scored on the man advantage, helped by Kearns and Brian Connelly.

Rockford held the Monsters to just five shots in the third, securing their 3-2 victory.

IceHogs goaltender Corey Crawford stopped 19 of the 21 shots he faced.

Search Archive »

  Bookmark and Share

Browse by Year »


Browse by Month »

April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
March 2007
January 2007
December 2006
May 2006