First Win Comes in Second Night of OT

Monsters rookie Stefan Elliott’s first goal as a professional came at the most opportune time: in the second straight night of overtime hockey in Syracuse.

His goal at 3:24 of overtime on Saturday secured the first win of the season for the Lake Erie Monsters (1-5-1), a 3-2 victory over the Crunch (3-0-2). In back-to-back games in Syracuse, the Monsters earned three of a possible four points (4-3 OTL on Friday).

Playing in just his second game with the team, Adrian Foster put the Monsters on the board with less than five minutes remaining in the first period when he potted a backhander from in front of the Syracuse net. The play was made possible by a pass off the stick of David van der Gulik. Greg Mauldin also assisted on Foster’s second goal in as many nights, giving the Monsters a 1-0 lead.

The second period yielded a single goal just as the first did, which came in the final minute of the middle frame. Kyle Palmieri picked up a rebound and sent the puck behind Monsters goalie Trevor Cann for his eighth of the season, tying the game at 1-1.

Syracuse gained their first lead of the hockey game at 10:39 of the third period when Nick Schaus sent a point shot through traffic that beat Cann; the 2-1 lead was the only Crunch lead of the night. The goal was scored on the power play as Lake Erie’s Hugh Jessiman was serving a minor for boarding.

With 2:22 remaining, Lake Erie tied the game at 2-2 when Cameron Gaunce scored on a similar play to the Schaus goal. Gaunce fired a wrist shot through a screen in front of Crunch goalie Iiro Tarkki to tie the game. Elliott and Luke Walker assisted on Gaunce’s first of the season.

In overtime, Elliott scored on a shot from the high slot to notch Lake Erie’s first win of the season. Elliott’s first professional goal was assisted by Eric Hunter and Gaunce.

Trevor Cann improves to 1-4-1 in net for Lake Erie; he stopped 21 of 23 shots. Tarkki’s record moves to 0-0-2, as he turned away 31 of 34 shots.

The Monsters will finish their current five-game road trip and second straight weekend of three-in-threes in Toronto on Sunday; the puck drops at 5:00 p.m.

Head coach David Quinn spoke after the game:

Search Archive »

  Bookmark and Share

Browse by Year »


Browse by Month »

April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
March 2007
January 2007
December 2006
May 2006