Monsters Fall Short in Shootout

Photos courtesy of Darren Abate
Down by a goal midway through the third period on Sunday night, the Monsters tied the game with less than four minutes to play and eventually went to a shootout with the Rampage. Unfortunately, Lake Erie could not pull off the comeback attempt, falling 3-2 and bringing their season record to 2-1-0-1. It was the second shootout in the last three games for the Monsters.

Lake Erie was playing its second game in less than 24 hours, having lost to the Barons in Oklahoma City on Saturday night, while San Antonio was playing its third game in as many days.

The Monsters outshot the Rampage, 10-4, in the first period, but neither team was able to find the back of the net.

San Antonio would turn the table in the second, putting up 14 shots compared to eight from Lake Erie. However, it would be the Monsters that would capitalize first. Matt Ford scored his second goal of the year 5:41 into the second period, assisted by Cameron Gaunce and Ben Walter. It was the first power play marker of the season for Lake Erie.

Ford has recorded points in three of Lake Erie's four games so far this season (2G, 2A). Gaunce has recorded an assist in back-to-back games, while Walter's helper was his first point of the season and as a Monster.

Lake Erie would maintain their 1-0 lead into the third period before San Antonio finally got on the board at 8:49 of the last frame. Alexandre Picard evened the game, assisted by Viktor Tikhonov and Tim Stapleton.

Mathieu Beaudoin put the Rampage ahead less than three minutes later, scoring on the power play at 11:22 of the third. Garrett Stafford and Andrew Ebbett assisted.

Colby Cohen would tie the game back up with his first goal of the season at 16:39, assisted by Julian Talbot and Greg Mauldin. Talbot and Mauldin have both recorded points in three of the Monsters four games this year.

Regulation would end with the score still tied, sending it to a five-minute sudden death overtime. Lake Erie outshot San Antonio, 8-3, but neither team was able to light the lamp, resulting in a shootout.

San Antonio shot first and missed, followed by Ryan Stoa's successful attempt for Lake Erie. It would end up being the only conversion for the Monsters in the shootout. The Rampage's second and fourth shooters would connect, giving San Antonio the 3-2 win.

Monsters goalie Jason Bacashihua recorded 29 saves on the 31 shots he faced in goal. Rampage netminder Matt Climie posted 31 saves on 33 shots.

Lake Erie will return to action on Tuesday, when they play in Oklahoma City and continue their six-game, nine-day road trip.

Search Archive »

  Bookmark and Share

Browse by Year »


Browse by Month »

October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
March 2007
January 2007
December 2006
May 2006