First Regulation Loss to Toronto on Friday

Serpentini Chevrolet
View Photo Gallery

View Photo Gallery

After salvaging a point in each game of a four-game road trip last week, the Lake Erie Monsters fell at home to the Toronto Marlies, 3-1, on Friday night in front of a raucous crowd of 9,668 at Quicken Loans Arena. It was the first regulation loss the Monsters have surrendered to the Marlies, as Lake Erie is now 4-1-0-1 against Toronto so far this season.

Lake Erie found itself down early as Toronto opened the scoring at the 4:13 mark of the first period. After tangling with a Monsters defenseman in the high slot of Lake Erie’s defensive zone, Marlies right wing Kyle Rogers was able to spring free in time to capitalize on a crossing pass from veteran center Mark Bell. Alex Foster was also credited with an assist on the goal.

The Monsters were not held short of chances early on, however, as Lake Erie found itself on the powerplay on five separate occasions in the first period, only to be turned away by Toronto netminder Adam Munro each time.

The Monsters emerged from the dressing room determined to test Munro in the second period. Lake Erie eventually found the back of the net at the 6:29 mark of the second on a shorthanded goal by defenseman Kyle Cumiskey, assisted by Monsters captain Nathan Smith. After a Toronto turnover near center ice, Cumiskey and Smith worked a give-and-go between two Toronto defenders before the left-handed Cumiskey received the puck on his off wing, held it for a moment to draw Munro to the right side of the net, and then beat the Toronto goaltender low to the left side to tie the game at one goal apiece.

“I just jumped up, made a pass to Smith, he made a nice pass back and I got a shot off and it went in. So it was a really nice pass by him,” Cumiskey said. Cumiskey’s goal was his seventh point (3G, 4A) in five games.

Lake Erie appeared to strike again later in the second as Smith stood in traffic in front of Munro and tipped a slap shot from the blueline into the Marlies net. However, the goal was subsequently disallowed as referee Jamie Koharski ruled that Smith’s stick was above the crossbar when it redirected the puck. According to American Hockey League rules, a goal does not count when it is directed by a stick raised above the height of a net’s steel crossbar.

Early in the third period, Monsters goaltender Tyler Weiman faced a flurry of shots from all directions and Lake Erie struggled to break out of its own zone. At the 6:29 mark of the third, Toronto defenseman Staffan Kronwall received a pass from left wing Stefano Giliati, danced over the Monsters blueline, made a quick move to the outside through the stick of Lake Erie defenseman Ray Macias and fired a shot past Weiman to give the Marlies a 2-1 lead. Toronto would add to their lead at 11:15 of the third on a Todd Perry snapshot. Boyd Devereaux and Alex Foster were credited with the assists on Perry’s goal.

Late in the third, Lake Erie attempted to ignite some offense of its own with a barrage of shots on Munro that led to a Toronto penalty. However, the Monsters were unable to solve Munro on the powerplay and for the remainder of the game, despite outshooting Toronto, 32-28, overall.

Following the game, Monsters coach Joe Sacco was pleased with his team’s effort, but acknowledged the need for his team to capitalize on chances presented to them in close games.

“We’re getting shots, we’re getting opportunities. We really have to bear down in front of the net. We’ve got to do a better job of finding those pucks especially at our feet off of rebounds. It seems the puck is bouncing around sometimes and we can’t quite get a handle on it. But as long as you’re getting shots and you’re getting opportunities, hopefully they'll eventually fall in for you,” Sacco said.

Lake Erie fell to 11-13-1-5, while the Marlies improved to 15-13-0-3.

The Monsters return to action on Saturday night in Grand Rapids, where they will face another North Division foe, the Griffins, at Van Andel Arena. Faceoff is set for 7:00 p.m.

Sights and Sounds
Kyle Cumiskey Interview
Coach Joe Sacco Interview
Quote, Unquote

"Both teams were off four days and you could see it. It was a little sloppy, there was some bad passing and the execution wasn’t sharp. But you know, it’s 1-1 in the third period and we’re still in the game and you know, unfortunately they made it 2-1 and we couldn’t seem to catch up after that. We really didn’t generate that much in the third period offensively.” - Head Coach Joe Sacco


Search Archive »

  Bookmark and Share

Browse by Year »


Browse by Month »

October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
March 2007
January 2007
December 2006
May 2006